- Posted by Snapclarity
- On October 15, 2019
Most organizations have prioritized and invested in their employees’ mental and physical health to help them function at their best. But a workplace mental health program won’t succeed unless it has the right combination of training and tools available to the team.
Why mental health training is important for managers
Managers typically know their employees better than any other leader in the organization and are ideally placed to spot the warning signs of when someone is mentally unwell. Training can further help managers:
- Become knowledgeable about the warning signs and symptoms of mental health concerns and mental illnesses.
- Learn how to best approach an employee who they are concerned about and know how to facilitate a helpful and supportive conversation.
- Be aware of the organizational tools and supports in place that can best help an employee.
“I have gained a greater awareness and understanding of mental health issues. I have also gained confidence within myself as a professional to recognize, empathize and provide support to individuals with mental health barriers.” – Mental Health First Aid Canada workplace program trainee
Why mental health training is important for employees
In addition to manager training, organizations need to provide employee training sessions that help individuals:
- Gain an increased awareness of the signs and symptoms of mental health concerns and mental illnesses
- Develop knowledge and skills in how to approach a colleague who appears to be struggling
- Gain confidence in approaching their manager to share their mental health story and seek the right support and tools that allow them to perform to their full potential.
Mental health training alone won’t suffice
The leading mental health programs combine manager and employee mental health training with ample access to mental healthcare services and tools.
In order for managers and employees to action the knowledge they learn through their training, they need access to the mental health tools, such as:
- Early screening through an accessible, clinically-validated mental health assessment
- A match to the right registered, licensed therapist who can be accessed on-demand (i.e. via a virtual platform)
- Evidence-based therapy tools, i.e. cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT), that help shift negative thinking
The right combination for a successful mental health program
By providing managers and employees with mental health training and access to on-demand mental health tools, managers can confidently provide effective support and employees are empowered to access quality mental healthcare so they can function at their best.
Book a demo of the Snapclarity virtual mental healthcare platform to see how it will transform your employees’ experience.