- Posted by Snapclarity
- On August 12, 2019
- In Blog
We all have busy schedules that are full to the brim with the daily life challenges of work, family life, friendships, and interests. But often a much-needed dose of relaxation is missing from the to-do list as we prioritize other things above our own self-care.
You may strive to eat, exercise, and sleep well, but if you don’t set aside time for regular relaxation, then everyday stress will begin to stack up, becoming unmanageable.
Relaxation shouldn’t just happen on the weekends or vacation. Your mental health needs relaxation to be built into each day.
5 easy ways to build relaxation into your daily life
1. Spend time in nature by sitting in your backyard, going for a walk or jumping on your bike to ride through nearby trails. The sounds and smells of mother nature will easily give you a sense of calm.
2. Breath focus is a simple but powerful technique where you take long, slow, deep breaths (also known as abdominal or belly breathing). As you breathe, try to gently disengage your mind from your distracting thoughts. A yoga or meditation class is a great place to practice this technique.
3. Savour pockets of the day where you can enjoy some time alone. Perhaps you can get up 15 minutes earlier to savour a cup of coffee before anyone else wakes up or you can set aside 15 minutes in your day to relax, being present in a calm and quiet moment.
4. Try adding a relaxing daily walk into your routine. Your goal is to reduce your stress so avoid looking at your phone or paying attention to sensory distractions (noises, people, stores etc.) It can be as simple as getting off the bus a few stops before your destination. You may want to consider arranging a walking meeting, or use part of your lunch break to get outside for a walk in the calming fresh air and sunshine.
5. Introduce a daily ritual that’s right for you and take the opportunity to soothe your senses. Perhaps enjoy listening to the sounds of your favourite calming music or consider relishing in relaxing fragrances adding some aromatherapy oils to your bath or a diffuser. Discover the sensory relaxation that works for you and make it a part of your day you look forward to.
End your day the right way
If you’ve gone through your whole day without a moment to spare, don’t worry, you can still build in some relaxation at the end of your evening.
Revisit your bedtime routine and build in at least 10–20 minutes of relaxation before you go to sleep. Consider keeping a journal, meditating or reading a book for enjoyment. Allow yourself a moment to exhale the days stress and inhale a sense of peace and calm for sleep. After all, your mental health is counting on you.
Download Snapclarity to get the help you need, when you need it.